Gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free.
I found this recipe on one of my favourite healthy food blogs – http://www.secretsquirrelfood.com, and decided to give it a crack. I made a couple of adjustments to the recipe (below) and it came out rather well. It’s moist and delicious, somewhere between banana bread and carrot cake with a little more zing! Tastes naughty even though it’s gluten free, dairy free and has only natural sugars. Winning!
1½ cup almond meal
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cardamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 mashed banana
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tbsp coconut oil
½ cup carrots (finely grated)
½ cup dates (roughly chopped)
½ cup dessicated coconut
½ cup walnuts (roughly chopped)
½ cup dried cranberries
pepitas to decorate
- Preheat oven at 170 degrees celcius and spray or line a 10.5cm x 20.5cm loaf tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine almond meal, baking soda, baking powder and spices
- In a separate bowl, mix banana, eggs and coconut oil. Gently fold into the dry mixture
- Fold in all remaining ingredients until just combined
- Pour mixture into loaf tin and bake for approximately 30 – 35 mins.
Note: you can cover the loaf with some foil half way through the cooking process if you feel it’s browning a little too quickly on the top.